- European Social Democrat parties (Photo: http://www.spe-kongress.de/de/impressionen.html)
In June 2015, the European Parliament had eight political groups and a group of non-attached members (NI=Non Inscrits). There are 751 members in total from July 2014.
The Socialist group has been renamed the progressive alliance of socialists and democrats, S-D, to include former Italian members from the liberal group amalgamated into the Democratic Party in Italy.
The British Conservatives initated a new group called European Conservatives and Reformists, ECR, in 2009. It bevcame the third biggest group in 2014.
The IND/DEM group disappeared in 2009 and was followed by a new group called Europe for Freedom and Democracy, EFD, renamed Europe for Freedom and Direct Democracy in 2014.
Here is the list of political groups
- EPP : Group of the European People's Party (Christian Democrats)
- ALDE : Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
- GREENS/ EFA : Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance
- ECR : European Conservatives and Reformists Group
- GUE/ NGL : Confederal Group of the European United Left - Nordic Green Left
- EFDD : Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy Group
ENF: Europe of Nations and Freedoms
- NA : Non-attached
See also European Parliament